Living in West Texas there is always mosquitoes, but with rains that have well exceeded our normal levels the mosquitoes have been horrid! So of course we sprayed our yards and sprayed out bodies, with no real improvement. I decided I would turn to Pinterest for ideas on how to resolve this mosquito issues! The process is simple really, the outcome.........
1. Gather some 2 liter soda bottles. This was my kids favorite part, they don't normally get soda, so they got to help empty 3 of them for my experiment.lol
2. Cut bottles in half. Now I cut the first one in half and it seemed like it was way to low......so I made all 3 different heights. Why not right??
3. Invert top half and tape inside the bottom half. Another simple task :p and as you can see. The 3 different heights become more noticable after you do this step.
4. In a container mix 1 Cup of hot water with 1/4 cup of brown sugar per trap you intend on making and let cool.
5. Pour Mixture into container.
6. Add 1 gram (about 1/3 a teaspoon) of yeast to the top, you don't have to mix.
So I got all 3 ready and placed them into different places in the yard. After an hour I saw absolutely no interest. We have an overcast day today so I will update as we go along :) I am thinking as it starts to get dark we will have more luck, I know that is when they love to bite me :D
***Almost 24 hours in and I have caught 5 little flies in the 3 containers lol. Well not exactly a find yet!